Our Founding Principle:
For One to be Strong in Body, Mind, and Spirit.
About Sherwood Park Tiger Taekwondo
- Sherwood Park Tiger Taekwondo was founded by Grandmaster Su Hwan Chung back in 1999 and served as an affiliate gym for his main gym: Tiger Taekwondo located in Edmonton, Alberta. Under his guidance, Sherwood Park Tiger served the community many years and was able to produce many students with numerous black belts. In July 2014, Master Michael Chung took over ownership and continues to carry on the traditions and founding principles set by his father.
- Our new location boasts a 5000 square foot space with modern amenities including yoga classes, free Wi-Fi, workout room, viewing area, and cardio classes for parents. Come by for a free tour and check us out!
Our Taekwondo Programs
Here at Sherwood Park Tiger Taekwondo, our main goal is to teach the art and philosophies of taekwondo while at the same time provide opportunities to promote health, wellness, and self-defense for all individuals. This will naturally result in improvements to daily active living. In order to achieve our goal, we utilize different teaching strategies to accommodate the diverse learning needs of each individual. Our programs are carefully designed to cater to these specific needs in order to enhance knowledge retention regardless of age and fitness level. It is with these specific learning goals in mind that we are able to assist any individual in achieving their unique learning objectives. Whether it is children, adults, or a family, we are sure you will have a positive and fun experience!!
Children’s taekwondo programs
Our children programs are specifically designed to introduce, build, and advance skills in taekwondo in a structured yet positive, safe, and fun environment. At Sherwood Park Tiger Taekwondo we teach a variety of taekwondo skills including: kicking, punching, sparring, and self-defense. Our goal is to provide children with the necessary skills to help build a positive, safe, and respectable lifestyle while at the same time maintaining a healthy and active way of life.
• Improved Self Confidence
• Increased Self Discipline
• Improved Grades in School
• Bullying Prevention
• Increased Focus
• Positive Energy Expenditure
• Increased Fitness
• improved Balance and Coordination
• Come try us out and meet our instructor’s with two free complimentary taekwondo lessons!
Adult taekwondo programs
At Sherwood Park Tiger, we offer a diverse adult training atmosphere that welcomes all adults regardless of fitness level and age. Taekwondo offers a great conduit to increase cardiovascular health and fitness that is exciting, dynamic, and progressive rather than going to the gym, which can be static and boring. Furthermore, our programs allow for individualized training programs, which can be executed in a dynamic group environment.
• Improved Health and Wellness
• Reduced Blood Pressure
• Stress Relief
• Weight Loss
• Improved Fitness
• Increased Muscle Gain
• Improved Cardiovascular Health
• Assists in Rehabilitation of injuries prior/present
• Increased Productivity and energy level at home and at work
• Try now with Two Free Complementary Lessons!!
Taekwondo Competition Programs
If you are looking for more than just fitness and exercise and want to set your sites at a more competitive level, Sherwood Park Tiger Taekwondo is the perfect place for you. Our programs are designed to introduce, develop, and enhance athletic abilities in Poomsae (patterns) and Sparring for the purpose of competition at the local, provincial, national, and international levels.
Dr. Hai Nguyen
• 2015 Canada National GOLD Medal Poomsae Pair Over 30 Years Old (National Champion)
• 2015 Canada National SILVER Medal Poomsae Individual Over 40 Years Old
• 2015 Canada Open SILVER Medal Poomsae Pair Over 30 Years Old
• 2015 Canada BRONZE Medal Poomsae Individual Over 40 Years Old
• 2015 Alberta Provincial GOLD Medals Poomsae Pair and Individual
• 2014 Pan American Championship Fifth Place Poomsae Individual Over 40 Years Old
• 2014 Canada National BRONZE medal Poomsae Individual Over 40 Years Old
• 2014 Alberta Provincial GOLD Medal Poomsae Pair and Individual
• 2015 Ranked #1 in Alberta for Highest Points Accumulated in Sparring Competition
• 2015 Alberta Provincial GOLD Medal Junior Girls Light Weight Division
• 2014 Alberta Provincial GOLD Medal Junior Girls Light Weight Division
• 2013 Canadian Nationals GOLD medalist sparring
• 2013 Canada Nationals SILVER medalist – sparring / GOLD medalist poomsae
• 2014 Canada Open GOLD Medalist – sparring
• 2013 Canadian Nationals SILVER medalist Sparring
• 2013 Canada Open GOLD medalist sparring
• 2015 Canada Nationals SILVER medalist sparring
• 2015 Canada Open BRONZE Medalist Junior Heavy Weight
• 2015 Canada National BRONZE Medalist Junior Heavy Weight
• 2014 Canada Nationals GOLD Medalist Male Fin Cadet division
• 2015 Canada National SILVER Medal Poomsae Individual Youth
• 2015 Canada National BRONZE Medal Sparring Youth
• 2015 Canada Open SILVER Medal Poomsae Individual Youth
• 2015 Canada Open SILVER Medal Sparring Youth
• 2014 Canada National GOLD Medal Sparring Youth (National Champion)
• 2014 Canada National SILVER Medal Poomsae Individual Youth
Come try 2 FREE taekwondo classes with us! Call 780.467.5500
Our Taekwondo Instructors
Grandmaster Su Hwan Chung, a Korean native and 8th Dan Black Belt, is the Head Instructor at Tiger Taekwondo. He is aware not only of the techniques of Taekwondo, but also the martial arts philosophy that embodies courtesy, patience and respect.
• 45 Years of Martial Arts Training and Experience
• Canadian National Team Coach
• NCCP Level IV
• Conductor, WTF Canada Instructors Academy
• World Taekwondo Federation, Taekwondo Canada and Alberta Taekwondo Association Member
• 1966 Began training under Grandmaster Han, Korea
• 1968 Korean National Middleweight Champion
• 1975 Opened Simon Chung Taekwondo in Edmonton
• 1990 Became Head Instructor, Tiger Taekwondo
• 1995 Canadian Team Coach, PANAM Games, Colorado Springs, USA
• 1996 Canadian Team Coach, PANAM Games, Costa Rica
• 1997 Canadian Team Coach, World Cup, Egypt
• 1997 Core Faculty Nation Instructor, Academy of WTF Canada
• 1997 Alberta Team Coach
• 1998 Canadian Team Coach, PANAM Games, Peru
• 1999 Canadian Team Coach, World Taekwondo Championship, Edmonton, Alberta
• 2000 Canadian Team Coach, World Cup, France
• 2001 Canadian Team Coach, World Taekwondo Championship, Jeju Island, Korea
• 2002 Canadian Junior Team Coach, US Open, Orlando, Florida
• 2002 Canadian Junior Team Coach, World Championships, Greece
• 2002 Canadian Women’s Coach, Seoul, Korea
• 2008 NCCP Course Conductor
• 2009 Secretary General, Taekwondo Canada
• 2010 President, Taekwondo Canada
Please visit www.tigertaekwondo.com for more information
Master Michael Chung began his taekwondo career under the guidance and leadership of Grandmaster Chung at age 3. Throughout his life, Master Michael Chung was taught the traditions and philosophies of taekwondo unique to Grandmaster Su Hwan Chung, including: weapons such as nunchaku and kumdo, hapkido, taekwondo, and competition style taekwondo. In order to enhance his ability to teach taekwondo, Master Michael Chung attended the University of Alberta obtaining a dual degree in kinesiology and physical education specializing in physical activity, rehabilitation, and biomechanical principles of human movement.
• Over 28 years of taekwondo experience
• 5th dan black belt
• Trained under Grandmaster Su Hwan Chung (8th dan black belt)
• Dual degree in Physical Education and Kinesiology
• Registered member of Coaches of Canada
• Competed in National and international tournaments
• Member of the Golden Key Society for outstanding academic achievement
“Both my son and I have been loyal students of Sherwood Park Tiger Taekwondo for over 5 years…
As a 43 year old adult, a father, and a healthcare professional, I highly recommend Master Mike and Sherwood Park Tiger Taekwondo to everyone from all walks of life. While your goals in joining the club may differ, you will all be pleased with the new and improved you both mentally, spiritually, and physically.”
Hai Nguyen BSc., DDS
“With big fears and little confidence our daughters began training under Master Mike. They faced their fears head on with an all or nothing approach…
The changes we have seen in our daughters have exceeded our expectations. We are excited to see what the future holds after the tremendous growth the girls have shown. If it is anything like last year, their journey will be nothing short of amazing thanks to the wonderful work Master Mike has done.”
The Mendes Family
“Sherwood Park Tiger TKD and Master Michael Chung have changed our family in so many good ways…
Master Chung and the other instructors teach a very high level of Taekwondo. They demand precision in everything and are very patient in teaching that precision. Master Chung will not advance you until he feels you are ready to be advanced, but he will constantly challenge you to become better. You will not find a more dedicated or talented competitive sparring instructor in Sherwood Park.”
Chris and Heather Wills
“‘I prescribe more Martial Arts than Ritalin.’ I find myself giving this advice to parents on a daily basis in my Pediatric practice. It’s a great way to involve children in an individual as well as a team sport….
I have been training in Taekwondo at Sherwood Park Tiger Taekwondo for the past 15 years. I can honestly say I am healthier now than I was 20 years ago! I have more energy to deal with work, family and friends. Training has also been an effective tool used to deal with life’s stresses. It’s a great way to challenge oneself both physically and mentally.
I have also seen several children grow into well behaved, responsible young adults at this school. I have seen parents as well as entire families sign up and train together. I have seen moms, dads and children of all ages earn their black belts! My own children train at Sherwood Park Tiger Taekwondo and they love it.
Of course any good Martial Arts institution is only as good as its instructors. I have been training with head instructor, Master Michael Chung for the past decade. He is the son of the school’s founder, Grand Master Su Hwan Chung. Master Mike (as the kids like to call him) is great with all of his students aged 3 to 50 and beyond. I have seen him teach special needs children as well. All of his students love and respect him which is a testament to his ability to lead and teach.
Master Mike has expertise in core TKD curriculum as well as competitive TKD. He is up to date with regards to any recent trends in competitive TKD. His training program is always challenging and thorough. Taekwondo at this school is always evolving and never routine.
I would highly recommend Sherwood Park Taekwondo. If you want to better yourself and your family come meet Master Mike and join our Taekwondo family.”
John Teoh, Pediatrician
“We have been a part of taekwondo for 16 years – ever since our oldest daughter was four-years-old…
Lan and Ashley Benson
“My two boys and I have trained under Master Mike and Grandmaster Chung for the past 5 years. My sons have grown and have been enriched by their experience at Tiger Taekwondo…
“Interested in an endeavour which will get our kids active year round and build their confidence, we decided to give Taekwondo a shot…
Two years later, we couldn’t be happier with our decision!
Master Mike’s methodology and charisma have enthralled our entire family and brought out the very best in our children and even ourselves.
Our kids are gaining a skill which if pursued, will give them a confidence in being able to handle whatever life throws their way, all while keeping them in great shape both physically and mentally.
Is this sport for everyone…perhaps. Is this gym for everyone…no.
Coddling just doesn’t happen here and this is actually one of our favourite things about Tiger. Some may be shocked by me saying this, but consider the five tenets of Taekwondo;
– perseverance, patience
– invincibility of spirit
We were quick to see that all of these points were applied and expected here.
Tiger has quickly become so much more than just a gym for our family. It is beginning to feel like a way of life.”
“Our 3 boys have been training at Tiger Taekwondo for Master Michael Chung and Grandmaster Simon Chung for more than 10 years…
The Kropp Family
“Strength by itself is not equal to knowledge and knowledge is not equal to training, but combine knowledge with training, and one will acquire true strength”